Laverne Cox Speaks Out After Transphobic Attack in L.A.: ‘It’s Not Safe If You’re a Trans Person’

Written by on December 1, 2020

In an Instagram post over the weekend, actress and activist Laverne Cox revealed that she had been a victim of a transphobic attack in Los Angeles’ Griffith Park. “We are fine,” she wrote in her caption. “Be careful out there.”

In the video, Cox relayed the story, saying that on Saturday, Nov. 28, she and a friend (who Cox said she would prefer to keep anonymous) were going for a “socially distanced walk” in the park, when a man approached them and “aggressively asked for the time.” Cox’s friend checked their watch to tell the man what time it was.

“My friend that I’m with looks at his watch and tells him the time, and then the guy who had asked for the time says to my friend ‘Guy or girl?'” she recalled. “My friend says, ‘F— off.’ I’m walking and hearing all of this — it happened in a split second. And then all of a sudden, the guy is attacking my friend … the guy was hitting my friend.”

Cox went on to explain that she promptly called 911 to get authorities on the scene, but as soon as she did, the fight had ended, and “the guy was gone.”

The Orange is the New Black star said that looking back, it was clear that the man who attacked her friend was trying to determine whether or not Cox was trans.

READ FULL STORY HERE:
https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/pride/9491147/laverne-cox-speaks-out-transphobic-attack/

via/billboard.com

Our hearts go out to Laverne and her friend.
Everyone should feel safe in our world. <3


Current track

Title

Artist